Last time we laid out our study of the book of Revelation and left room for a time line at the bottom. We covered the first five chapters for our outline which now brings us to Revelation chapter six overview.
In column four, title the column Revelation Chapter 6. Under the title we again, list the main topics of that chapter. For chapter six, we see the topic is the Lamb (Jesus Christ himself) starts opening the seven seals of the book mentioned in chapter five.
– The Lamb starts opening the 7 seals
– Seals 1 – 6 are opened as follows:
1st in 6:1 ; 2nd in 6:3; 3rd in 6:5; 4th in 6:7; 5th in 6:9; 6th in 6:12 [7th in 8:1]
– The 1st seal brings one who conquers the earth (I believe this is antichrist for many reasons but two reasons, he takes peace from the earth and he conquers the earth. Jesus is the Prince of peace and already owns the earth and the fullness thereof).
– The 2nd seal power was given to the one who took peace so they would kill one another.
– The 3rd seal brings famine
– The 4th seal brings death and hell which kills one fourth of the earth’s population. If the earth’s population is 7 billion as they say, that would mean about 1.75, almost 2 billion are killed.
WW 1 deaths are estimated at about 20 million and WW 2 deaths are estimated at about 80 million. Both WW 1 and WW 2 combined is about 100 million. Seal four kills 1.75 billion, not million. Compare the 1.75 billion to both world wars combined, you get about 20 times more people die from the 4th seal.
– The 5th seal believers on earth are killed. Notice, the verse does not identify them as the church. They are identified as believers in 6:9.
– The 6th seal brings great earthquakes, sun blackened, blood moon, stars fall from heaven onto the earth. A key is given – every mountain and island are moved out of their places.
– We are told the wrath happening is the wrath of him who sits on the throne in heaven. The wrath of the Lamb. (Some teach it is Satan’s wrath and they are wrong per scripture.
The 5th column title Revelation Chapter 7. Under the title put the focus of chapter 7 is the 144,000 Jews sealed by God. These 144,000 are 12,000 people from each of the 12 tribes of Israel. These are not Gentiles, they are Jews only.
The 6th column title Revelation Chapter 8. Under the title write the focus of chapter 8.
– The 7th seal is opened. At the opening of the 7th seal brings the 7 trumpet judgments.
Chapter 8 reveals –
The 7th seal judgment
Four of the seven trumpet judgments.
The Trumpet judgments are identified –
1st Trumpet Judgement is in 8:7; 2nd in 8:8; 3rd in 8:9; 4th in 8:12; 5th in 9:1; 6th in 9:13; 7th in 11:15.
– The 1st trumpet brings – one third of all trees on earth are burned up with hail mingled with fire, Revelation 8:7.
– The 2nd trumpet brings – one third of sea turns to blood, one third of the fish and creatures died and one third of ships were destroyed.
– The 3rd trumpet brings a great star from heaven falls upon a third of earth’s rivers. The star is called Wormwood.
– The 4th trumpet brings one third of the sun is smitten, one third of the stars and one third of the moon. Earth will loose one third of all its light.
Now we go to our seventh column on our overview. Title your 7th column Revelation Chapter 9. And we will pick it up from here next time, Lord willing.
Until next time.
I have been struggling with how do I set up this overview of the book of Revelation in an easy to understand overview or outline. I’ve come up with columns as an answer then do a time line under the columns. Let me try to explain.
If you take a piece of paper, lay it horizontally and fold into thirds. Then open the paper and draw a vertical line on the folds, about two thirds of the way down on the paper. You will get three columns on the front and three columns on the back. Above the first column write Revelation Chapters 1 – 3.
Then under that column we will write key points of the chapter(s). So under column one we will write the following:
– The 7 churches
– The Mystery of the 7 stars (are the angels to the 7 churches).
– The 7 candlesticks represent the 7 churches
– The church is mentioned in Revelation 1, Revelation 2, Revelation 3 and Revelation 21:9
Candlesticks figuratively represent –
Christ – Zechariah 4:2, 11
Church – Revelation 1:13, 20
Above column two write Revelation Chapter 4. Under that title and in column two write the following:
– Starts with things that come in the future – “hereafter”
– Describes 4 beasts before the throne of God:
– Describes 24 elders
– Describes one on the throne in heaven as the Lord Creator (compare Colossians 1:16)
The third column title Revelation Chapter 5
Under that title and in column three write the following:
– The 7 sealed book is the focus of this chapter. Once the seals start opening in heaven, judgment starts on earth.
Then turn the page over to the other three blank columns on the back or use a new piece of paper and fold into thirds then draw vertical lines on the folds two thirds of the way down and lay that piece of paper next to the first piece of paper you just filled in.
At the bottom of each paper you draw a horizontal line across the paper for your time line. We will spotlight specific events through the time line. When we are done, you will have a time line of events, for the future.
You have the first five chapters for your outline in this post. We will add more next time. Then I will show you how I did my time line. When done, you will have an accurate vision of coming events in the correct order according to the word of God.
This time line will also help you in discovering what preachers or teachers have their doctrine a little messed up. It does not mean the preacher is bad or a heretic, it means they need to study the area more.
Until next time
What is the purpose of the book of Revelation? God wants to show his servants, not the world, not unbelievers, but his people, things coming to pass in the future. Revelation 1:1 tells us this. So why don’t believers study this book and teach this book more?
The usual excuses include:
I don’t understand the book.
The book scares me.
What do the symbols mean?
If I teach the book my congregation will leave.
I don’t want to scare people about hell or the lake of fire.
Satan is not real.
There are other excuses. It is not that knowledge is everything but it is a key. Once you have the key, you have to use the key to unlock “things” of God. Unlock God’s word. You can have a lot of knowledge but if it sits dormant it is, you are, nothing more than a library, a storage container.
You can have a car and you have knowledge that you must put oil in the car. But if you never put the oil in the car, you can not use the car. The same with baking a cake. You can have all the ingredients to make the cake but if you have knowledge of what ingredients you need and let them sit on the counter, the cake will not be baked. Whose fault is it then, for not being able to have the car work? Whose fault is it for not having the cake baked? Do you blame God? No. The fault lands on you for not putting the information to work.
God tells us his people, not unbelievers, but his people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Hosea 4:6 KJV ” My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.”
Granted, in context God is speaking about Israel. But when believers do not understand God or what God says or we lack knowledge, we destroy ourselves. How? We don’t know or understand how God works in and through us. We don’t understand how to change our life. It is kind of like the Disney movie, It’s A Bug’s Life. Once Flick and the others realized they had the power over the enemy grasshoppers, the ants seized their power and changed their life with knowledge.
Religious teachers and organizations often want to lead you in to their doctrine. They impose their doctrine on people and sometimes twist scripture to say what they believe. Some religions even make their own Bible. When you read a Catholic bible, it does not read anything like the Geneva or King James bibles. Jesus addressed this in Luke.
Luke 11:49-52 KJV ” Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:
 That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;
 From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias, which perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation.
 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.”
Instead of believers investigating the truth to get knowledge from God, they stay in their denomination’s teaching. Which means they never look for true knowledge from God.
I admit, there are some things that are hard to understand in God’s word. But if we deligently seek God, not man, to understand him and what he says, he will answer.
We just completed a study through the book of Revelation. We provided a quiz after each chapter. The quiz is based on information within the chapter. We purposely did not explain everything in each chapter and we did not impose our views. Why? God the Holy Spirit’s job is to guide us into all truth.
Now we will do a Revelation Overview. Not to impose our view but to point out specific “things” within the book. Why? Because God clearly gives us a time line in Revelation. Why does that matter? The time line creates a truth detector with knowledge. Why is this important? Because when you see or hear of an event, through your knowledge of Revelation and God’s timeline, you can determine if someone is leading you down the wrong road. Then you must act on that knowledge or you can be led to the slaughter, so to say.
We will start our overview and timeline next time. Until next time.
Revelation 22 tells us what the future will be like. After all the judgments mentioned in Revelation are done, once God takes care of Satan once and for all, once all those who rejected God and his plan of redemption, Jesus Christ, what happens? Revelation chapters 21 and 22 show us a glimpse of believer’s in eternity. Remember, believers by this time have their new glorified body. A body like Jesus had when he rose from the dead and spoke with the disciples.
Revelation 22 Quiz
1 – Revelation 22 opens with John seeing a river that is crystal clear. Where does the river flow from?
2 – In Genesis 2: 8, 9 God tells us about some trees and one of the trees is mentioned in Revelation 22. What tree is mentioned in both places?
3 – The tree of life bares how many manner of fruit?
4 – The tree of life bares her fruit how many times a year?
5 – The leaves of the tree of life are used for what?
6 – The servants of the Lord will see God and the Lamb face to face. True or False.
7 – John is told not to seal the sayings of this book because why?
8 – Jesus tells John he is coming again and Jesus has a reward he is bringing. The reward will be given not for salvation but based on what?
9 – Jesus sent his __________ to testify these things unto John and unto who?
10 – Jesus mentions five groups who say come. Who are the five groups?
Next time, we will try to give a basic outline of the book of Revelation.
Until next time.
Revelation 22, the last chapter of the book of Revelation. This chapter tells of the future. It explains, we do not go to heaven to lay on clouds and play harps for eternity. After we finish this chapter, we will outline the entire book of Revelation so you can get “the gist” of the book. Here is chapter 22.
Revelation 22:1-21 KJV ” And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
 And I John saw these things, and heard them . And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.”
Until next time.
Revelation 21 Quiz
1 – Revelation 21 tells us there is coming a new heaven and a new earth. What happened to the heaven and earth we know now?
2 – What city is the holy city?
3 – God tells us, with the new heaven and the new earth there will be no more _______, _________, __________, ___________.
4 – An angel shows John the bride of Christ. True or False.
5 – New Jerusalem comes out of ____________.
6 – New Jerusalem has 12 gates for the 12 tribes of Israel but who was at the 12 gates?
7 – The wall of new Jerusalem has 12 foundatiins. Whose names are written in the 12 foundations?
8 – When new Jerusalem was measured how many miles is it?
9 – New Jerusalem is four square meaning what?
10 – The wall for the city is 1200 feet. True or False.
11 – The nations that are ____________ walk in the city.
12 – Who lives in New Jerusalem?
Until next time.
Revelation chapter 21
We know at this point, the earth as we knew it is not the same. We also know, Satan, the false prophet and the beast are in the lake of fire. We know death and hell are also put into the lake of fire. We also know, those who took the mark of the beast in their right hand or in their forehead were also in the lake of fire. Plus those who rejected God and salvation through Jesus Christ, their name is not in the book of life so they are put into the lake of fire.
So what about those believers who love the Lord God? What happens after the great tribulation? Revelation 21 and 22. But notice, there is a distinction between the tabernacle of God is with men and the bride of Christ. Here is Revelation 21.
Revelation 21: 1-27
” And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
8. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
9. And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb’s wife.
10. And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
11. Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
12. And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
13. On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
14. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
15. And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
16. And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
17. And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
18. And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
19. And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
20. The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
21. And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.
22. And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
23. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
24. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
25. And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
26. And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.
27. And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life. ”
Until next time.